Supervisor Training is Highly Recommended Once Every Five Years.
When you are ready to hire, here are the required filed documents that your office should maintain:
- Email completed Appointment Initiation Form with approval signatures to Teresa Pergher and Jackie Rusnak
- Memo from Selection Committee Chair indicating why Finalist chosen as "best qualified candidate" and requesting approval from Department Chair to proceed (reference ROCS posting number)
- Department Chair's letter to Executive Dean requesting approval to proceed with the hiring of the Finalist
- Updated CV with a current mailing address for Finalist
- Three professional letters of recommendation (on official letterhead) are required for new Post Docs appointments
- Official Copy of PhD Degree Certification
- Unofficial Copy of Transcript (required only if this is a contingency hire - see information below)
- Offer Letter signed by Chair and Finalist (this letter will serve as an HCM attachment)
- Background Check Certification (this document will serve as an HCM attachment)
- The Position Description and Posting Summary Detail can be maintained as part of your office file documents.
Each department will prepare a letter of appointment which will be uploaded into RIAS.
In addition to the required file documents listed above, all non-US citizens who are seeking a visa must complete a Proof of English Proficiency form and follow the following instructions:
- Email completed Appointment Initiation Form with approval signatures
- For Sunapsis requests, access the Center for Global Services website, search for the request link. Enter your id and password along with the full name and address of the joining party. This link will then be emailed directly to the joining party so they may upload their documents (CV, passport, source of funding, letter of invitation). You will receive a notification email once this process has been completed. You may now upload any remaining documents (i.e., JE numbers along with the English proficiency document and appointment letter). Once submitted, the Chair then the Vice Dean will approve the appointment and the International Center will be prompted that the process has been completed. The Global Center will notify the Department by email when the visa is ready.
- Official Copy of PhD Degree Certification
It is strongly recommended that first-time Post Doctoral appointments of Non-US citizens be for an initial appointment term of one year.
Individuals who do not hold a PhD at the time of the appointment request may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Contingency requests should be directed to SEBS-HR along with a current CV and an official qualifying receipt of submittal of dissertation for the Dean's review. We reserve the right to request an official transcript at the completion of the PhD program.
For more information visit academiclaborrelations.rutgers.edu/academic-appointments-manual/academic-appointments-manual (Academic Appointments Manual).
Contingency Requests - Recruitment of Post Docs
All Post-Doctoral Associates are required to have a PhD on or before the actual date of hire.
In the case where a department desires to recruit for a position in which they have a potential candidate they are considering who has not yet achieved his/her PhD, they must adhere to the following procedure well BEFORE a posting is drafted in ROCS:
- The faculty member must send a letter of inquiry to the potential candidate's Dissertation Committee explaining that the candidate will soon be considered for a position within the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences (SEBS) and request that an official letter be returned which clearly states the following:
- Date when his/her academic coursework requirements will be met (including dates of thesis submittal/date of final dissertation defense) in order to help the department determine a timeline for the awarding of his/her actual PhD degree. Receipt of this document will allow the faculty member/department to decide when/whether or not to proceed with the recruitment of their vacancy.
- The department should forward to SEBS-HR a formal request to review these documents by email, attaching the dissertation committee's official letter, and a current CV of the potential candidate for approval by the Office of the Executive Dean.
NOTE: Contingency documents will only be reviewed for those applicants whose dissertation committee letter clearly states that the individual has completed his/her academic coursework, has set a defense date, and is awaiting receipt of their official PhD degree.
SEBS-HR will notify your department if the contingency request has been approved and when the department should proceed with the actual posting of the Post-Doctoral position into ROCS.